Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pumpkin and Marscapone Roulade

This cake is homemade on an entirely new level of effort. A pumpkin jelly roll cake made from home-roasted fairytale pumpkin with a filling of homemade mascarpone and homemade candied ginger. This cake is decadent, sweet, creamy, and luscious.

I didn't set out to make a cake from scratch short of grinding the wheat, milking the cow, and obtaining the appropriate chemicals and processes to create baking soda. It kind of happened.

About a month ago I needed candied ginger for a berry cake. I was at a grocery store which doesn't sell candied ginger. Going to a second store with Little Hands wasn't an option, so I purchased half a pound of fresh ginger. Then I followed David Lebovitz's recipe on how to candy the ginger. The whole house smelled lovely. (That is, if you like the smell of ginger.) I frequently dipped a spoon into the syrup for a lick, and I wished there had been enough syrup to attempt to make a homemade ginger ale. The candied ginger itself? A lifetime supply considering I don't like it as a candy.

Then I happened to roast my own fairytale pumpkin.. It yielded so much pumpkin that I set out to do something with the pumpkin. It just so happened that the Blue-Eyed Bakers posted a recipe called, Buche d'Halloween (aka Pumpkin Roulade with Ginger Buttercream).

I happened to have pinned recipe for homemade marascapone and an appropriate amount of cream in the refridgerator. I made the cheese from scratch because it sounded interesting. (It was. I'll do it again in the future.)

The result was rich and creamy. It was a wonderful fall desert deviating from my tendencies toward pies and peppermint.

No comments:

Post a Comment