This roast beef dish is savory, tangy, and - most importantly - easy to create. The apple is a surprising touch and its tartness compliments the roast. You can cook this immediately or you can prepared it in advance and freeze it until you need a day off from cooking. I took a knife to my roast and divided it into two meals.
Caraway Pot Roast
adapted from Once-a-Month-Cooking by Mary Beth Lagerborg and Mimi Wilson
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 to 12 hours
To prepare and freeze:
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 1/2 pound roast beef, fat trimmed
- 15-oz Libby's Bavarian Style Kraut, drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
To finish and serve:
- 1 cup of water
- 2 granny smith apples, grated
- 16-oz wide egg noodles
- Place all ingredients except water, apples, and noodles in bag and seal well. Freeze.
- Thaw and put into Crock-Pot. Add water, cover, and turn on low for 6 to 8 hours. (12 hours if not thawed.)
- Shred the meat in the juice. Grate apples and put on top meat. Serve on cooked noodles.